7/24/2015

Combo Attack Blocking

Hey guys!  So it's been a few weeks, but I've started Workshop 2 with Jeremy Collins and it's been pretty great so far!  This class is all about attacks and take downs so it's sure to be pretty exciting.
---
For our first assignment we have to create a combo attack.  Now seeing as I'm not athletic in the slightest, I scoured the vastness of YouTube to search out some cool reference.  I had a lot of people suggest some more physical combat looking videos to me when I was looking for reference, which were pretty cool, but not exactly what I was looking for as I wanted to use some kind of weapon.  
So the first batch of reference that me and everyone else in my class pieced together was politely turned down by Jeremy.  He said we should be thinking more out of the box for ideas.  So I thought that maybe a guitar would be a cool weapon to wield.  I searched through a lot of YouTube for any videos of people swinging guitars around and came across some pretty cool stuff...
The first clip in there was some pretty great reference, this kid was doing all kinds of cool spins with his guitar which was fantastic!  Then I found the last clip, which is Billie Joe from Green Day freaking out because the concert he was at cut his performance time, and I'm glad they did because this was some great reference as well!  After that I needed to find something to piece the two clips together and Jeremy suggested I look at some Billy Maddison stuff where I found that perfectly profile golf swing.
---
From there I went into blocking out the major key frames for the shot....
A lot of these poses could definitely be pushed more to the extreme, as well as be more balanced, which is what I'm currently working on.  I also didn't pose out the fingers yet, which I should really do.  And boy oh boy did I have a "fun" time with all the constraining going on in this shot.  I didn't want to have the guitar lead the hands because I feel that I wouldn't be able to make the animation really look like her hands are actually leading it if I did that.  If you remember the Imp carrying a heavy box animation that I did you might recall that I was having that issue for that one.  So instead I have a more complicated setup for the constraints.  Thank goodness Nick Arbeiter is a constraint master because I would not have been able to do this without him, constraints are definitely not my thing.  

I'm currently going through and adjusting the timing, adding breakdown poses, and pushing the key poses for this shot, but so far it's been so much fun to animate it!  Stay tuned for more updates!
P.S. - I finally got into watching Doctor Who, so there might end up being more Doctor Who related .gifs appearing...I'm sorry in advance... :D

No comments:

Post a Comment